Monday, October 22, 2007

Cool new blog - GREY GARDENS NEWS


Revently I discovered the movie Grey Gardens. it is now a musical on broadway but it was a Cinema Verite type documentary in the mid 1970s. If you have never seen it or heard about it, it is about a mother and daughter who lived in the Hamptons. The mother was known as Big Edie Beale, and she was the sister of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' father. Her daughter was Little Edie Beale. Together they lived in complete squalor in this mansion called Grey Gardens one block from the ocean in the Hamptons. They lived there with 52 cats, a bunch of raccoons in a big old house that was falling apart around them.

In other words, this would have been my life (sort of) had I stayed in GP with my mother and I had not met and married Bill. We seriouly did have the raccoons, the cats and the falling apart house. My mother was also very much like Big Edie, in that in her eyes, my purpose in life was to keep her company, and also in many other ways.

However, I somehow escaped, barely. Poor Little Edie did not. Anyway it is a interesting if not bizarre movie. The whole BEALE saga is in vogue again, and there is a lot of interest in the movie and these two women, though both are long dead.

This one guy has a blog about it. http://greygardensnews.blogspot.com/

0 comments: