Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How should she have answered?





Chelsea Clinton was asked about the Monica Lewinsky scandal at a college yesterday. Specifically, she was asked her opinion "on the criticism of her mother that how she handled the Lewinsky scandal might be a sign of weakness and she might not be a strong enough candidate to be president."

She answered that she did not think that was any of their business.

Something about this answer bothered me. On the one hand I don't think she should have been really asked to comment on that, but then, she was there representing her mother. SO to completely expect that it would never come up I think would be a mistake.

As to what kind of answer she should have maybe prepared, well saying that it is "none of your business" I think was a mistake. Most people disagree with me, but I think it was a LOT of people's business and it is a question on the mind of many people.

I think I would have answered it differently... maybe saying just.. you know - NO it is not a weakness but then I see that would be opening a door...

SO then how about saying maybe FIRST , well that is not a question I should have to answer, but I can say that my mother is a very strong person and she is well equipped to deal with the responsibilities that come with the office.... etc.

I GET the fact that Chelsea was an innocent bystander in the Lewinsky scandal, and she should not have to answer to the decisions made by her parents then. etc

On the other hand, if her mother is going to put herself in the position of intense scrutiny, AND Chelsea is going to campaign on her behalf , she of all people should know what that brutal process is like and what she has signed up for, having literally grown up on the campaign trail.

It seems weird to me then, that she would respond that is is "none of your business."

If she is sitting in a coffee shop with her boyfriend and NOT on the campaign trail for anyone and is just trying to live her life, that question is truly rude. I do not think you can have it both ways however, and if you are going to go out there for your mother the candidate as her representative you need to come up with a better answer to that admittedly rude but probably inevitable question.

Just my opinion.

0 comments: