Monday, March 3, 2008

Sure its goofy - Gold's Gym it Isn't - but I like it!!!!



Curves. Yes, its a little goofy, a little cultish and full of sort of lumpy older women... (not unlike myself, let's face it.) They all wear the cutesy "Curves" T shirts, they all know each other, and they all like to talk about goofy stuff when they exercise. It reminds me of those ladies at my grandparents condo in Florida, you know those ones who swim REALLLLLY slowly in the pool and never put their head under the water? My living nightmare when I would go down to FL was that I could NOT wait to swim but I would always get busted by Mrs. Leposky and have to put on a bathing cap. Then, since I would have forgotten mine at home in Michigan, I would have to use my grandmother's which was covered in flowers. CRAAAAAAP!!!!!!!

Mrs. Leposky and the other overly tanned 78 year old women who mostly looked like a raisin had mated with a praying mantis, would sit around the pool half of the day til "their stories" came on in the afternoon, and would talk about their painting classes and their latest medical procedures... GAWD. As a TERMINALLY BORED 14 year old I would look forward to their leaving for the afternoon when I would have the pool to myself, even though it was hottest then. I would enjoy the quiet while nurturing my third degree burns... Florence Leposky fancied herself quite an artist and had hundreds of HORRIBLY PAINTED canvases in the condo she shared with her husband Howard. Together they unofficially ruled Vista D'Oro, and if you have ever watched Seinfeld where his parents talk about the politics at their condo in FL, Del Boca Vista, I swear to God it is ALL TRUE!! At Vista D'Oro the biggest fight was always over the temperature of the pool and when to have the Pot Luck in the Rec Room.

Anyway... Curves reminds me of all the holidays I spent at Vista D'Oro, and in a way I find it sort of comforting. Slowly my body is getting used to the workout there and I suspect in about 6 - 8 months I will be ready for a REAL gym, but until then, I enjoy toning my pectorals while getting good recipes for something called "Brown Betty" and Oatmeal Scones. Most of the ladies at my Curves are retirees from Hope Village, a Retirement Community just down the road from my Sploded House.

Hey Speaking of the SPLODED HOUSE, they started the framing today!!!!!! WHEW HOO!




"Curves-Isms"

  • Curves is "The Girl Power Half Hour"
  • Curves Mission: "Strengthening Women".
  • At Curves, your Health and Fitness is our Business.
  • Invite a friend to Curves and you will never be lonely.
  • Curves - The Power To Amaze Yourself!
  • Meet Your Next Best Friend at Curves.
  • No Men, No Makeup, No Mirrors.
  • Friends "LET" Friends Workout at Curves.
  • Curves is your Safe Place to Workout.
  • Curves is a Community of Support.
  • Curves Works!

0 comments: