Yeah, I had about three less apples than this pile here...The Corn Lady had better start sleeping with the lights on....
Ina Garten, AKA "The Barefoot Contessa:" She is just Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.This morning I woke up and made Applesauce Bread with the homemade applesauce I had made days earlier that my family did NOT eat. The recipe was from Paula Deen, and I did not think it was that great. I would not make it again.
Then I made Butternut Squash soup which was very good and it had apples in it. I added not only the Butternut squash puree to it, but also some roasted carrots pureed, garlic and some roasted apples. it was pretty great and I had ton left over. I gave Spencer some and he ate most of it, which was good because it was pretty healthy and nutrient rich, and then I froze the rest.
That recipe was from Sara Moulton here it is... I like her a lot... She used to have a show on the Food Network called Sara's Secrets.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/butternut-squash-soup-recipe/index.html
She has a newer show on PBS called something like weekday meals or something like this...
Then we went to Fir Point Farms to get another gallon of apple cider. Then to Fred Meyer.
Then I made the apple pear cranberry crisp from the Ina recipe. Honestly I used the wrong sized pan. It called for a 9 x 12 I had a 9x 13 but it seemed too shallow for a crisp, so I used an oval baking dish.
Big mistake. I mean it was okay it was good but there was WAYYY too much topping and some of the apples were less cooked than others. ANd it was SOOOO huge. We each had a serving, and honestly Bill had three.... he loved it but I actually took the rest over to my next door neighbors Joel and Rebecca. They have four kids and are really nice people and always receptive to my hideous experimental cooking. Event they could not eat it all Bill liked it so he kept the rest but I cannot look at it. I hate apples now... And I love Ina Garten, and I will always still watch The Barefoot Contessa, but I am convinced she is crazy.
My soup turned out great though and the purees are working out! Spencer likes Sloppy Joes and we had them for dinner, but what he did not know was there there was a cup of carrot puree in there, and some corn and garlic. I mean, he WILL eat carrots, but its a struggle. I have to tell him that they are "magic carrots" grown especially for swimmers, to make them strong.
This way I don't have to make up stupid stories...
Also I put the final coat on the chalkboard Wall tonight, and it will be dry by about Wed Night I guess, and then we can use it. Takes Three days to dry and cure.
Then I cleaned the entire kitchen, washed every dish, and made all of Spencer's lunches for the week at preschool.
OH and for those of you playing at home, Bill found my wallet.
Tomorrow I have to start figuring out Spencer's Halloween Costume. He wants to be a Fireman. Teacher Gina is going to lend us the raincoat, and we have the hat and fake Axe. He needs pants, boots and some reflective tape to make like those lines on their outfits...
ALso across the street is Steve the Cop and I am going to ask him for one of those fake badge stickers he gives out to kids.
But for now I am gonna wash the apples out of my hair, put away my peeler and go watch Entourage.

2 comments:
Even looking at Ina makes me hungry! I want her for my mom! Sara is definately more sophisticated but a bit intimidating to me.
Your apple talk got me looking for Jongagolds (sp?) but there were none in the farmers mkt here. I did find some Honey Crisps that were very delicous!
I made Paula Deen's squash casserole last night with all squash, 1/8 the butter and used olive oil instead of veg. oil. It was good, I highly recommend it!
hmmm I will look that up on the Food Network site..
I liked the Jonagolds though people really prefer a more tart apple for baking stuff. I have heard that Honeycrisps are a cross between macoun apples and another kind. I tried them last year.. its easy to find good fruit here though. We have a harry and David outlet store near us and they have amazing pears.
Ina is always talking about Macoun apples. I have never had one. I thought the jonagolds were very good for eating. I also love my old standby which are Fiji apple.s
Post a Comment