Tuesday, August 7, 2007

MMMMMmmmmm... Pie!


Have a look at the very first Berry pie I have ever baked. The berries came from Betty the Corn lady's farm stand and were grown blocks from my exploded house. The crust... well I Uhmmm that came from uhmmm... Fred Meyer and Pillsbury, but COME ON!!!! I am a busy woman... I cannot be bothered making CRUST.

But anyway the Berries they are these giant blackberries. and here is the pie and here is the exact recipe but I would change a few things the next time I make it.

The recipe is below but FIRST I would add the sugar to ALL of the berries ( and use maybe 5 cups of berries instead of four) and let it sit for a bit. I also would slightly increase the amount of sugar maybe to 2/3 instead of 1/2 cup. Also, I would add the flour JUST before I put the mixture into the crust and mix it up but add the sugar way ahead to let it sort of mingle with the very tart berries for a bit. The rest is easy... then just before baking but after you put the top crust on, you should reconsider the amount of sugar to add to that... 1/4 c of milk is a LOT and so is the amount of sugar. it kind of drowns the crust a bit...

But I digress: Here is the recipe

Blackberry Pie

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 cups fresh blackberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS

  1. Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar and flour. Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup berries on top of the sweetened berries, and cover with the top crust. Seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
  2. Bake at 425 degree F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iplawife made some YUMMY Blueberry Pies the other day. Maybe this will inspire her to make more.

I like Pie.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! Love all the new pictures, too. Here is my grandmother Mama Dear's cobbler recipe, if you have any stray berries left over. You can also use peaches.

1 quart blackberries (or peaches, or dewberries) fresh or frozen
1 cup water
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbs lemon juice
1 stick butter
1 cup bisquick
dash of salt
1 tbs wheat germ
lots of cinnamon & nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350, combine fruit, 1 c. sugar & lemon juice in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil.

Melt 6 tbs. butter and mix with bisquick, 1/2 c. sugar and salt. Reserve 1/2 c. of this mixture.

Put remaining bisquick mixture in the bottom of a 8x8 baking pan (2 quart). Dump fruit mixture on top of this.

With the rest of the bisquick stuff, mix wheat germ and sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg, dump onto fruit layer. Top with reamining 2 tbs butter.

Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until golden brown & bubbly. You can double it but it takes longer to bake, you just have to watch it. Mine always overflows, but I'm a messy cook. This is the only recipe of mine that made our junior league cookbook, so I guess it doesn't suck ;)

tydwbleach said...

AWESOME!!!! I am TOTALLY going to try and make this!!! I have SIX PINTS of blackberries left wait ONE QUART is that like 4 cups? Its hard to measure CUPS of blackberries because they are so big.

tydwbleach said...

yeah tell Iplawife to get on the stick and bake some more pies.... after all what else does she have to do all day????


HAHAHAHAH THAT WAS A JOKE, OK?? I have SEEN that baby..... I KNOW she keeps her mom hopping...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pie recipes. My sister made a great blackberry & strawberry cobbler the other day, with HUGE blackberries in it, from Virginia no less (uh, I was there for six weeks this summer . . . she didn't FedEx me the cobbler over here to Switzerland . . . they do have great berries in Zurich, too.)

Anonymous said...

SG,

The blackberries here in Virginia are great! My brothers and I used to pick buckets of them and my Mom made great "black and blue" pies, mxing blackberries and blueberries. (Blackberries can be kind of seedy)

Say hello next time you're here.

Anonymous said...

Osler is probably picking blueberries as we speak. This is a clue to his true whereabouts.

I also thimk that he has a real (albeit inocuous) Cuba connection... I remember him telling me the story after his background check for the federal prosecutor position.

Anonymous said...

IPLG--those "Black and blue" pies sound very Southern. Kind of a Civil War theme going on there. Yum.

Sure, I'll say hello sometime! Maybe I will be in NoVA at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these recipes, Tyd and Mrs. CL. I have a week here in Zurich to myself before school starts. It's raining here, so maybe I'll do some pie-baking since I can't be at the pool.

There is a field of sunflowers ("sonnenblumen" in German, which seems like a beautiful word for them) down the street from where I live. You can pick them on the honor system: there's a little sign telling you they cost 1 franc each, and a pair of shears and a little wooden box to put your money in. There were tulips there in the spring. I wonder if I can find a berry field here . . . hmm.

Anonymous said...

Well, don't tell my Mom about the southern thing. She's from Iowa and defines "midwestern." She just thought she was being practical by addding blueberries to cut the seediness.

Of course her father, also a midwesterner, who had retired to the Pacific Northwest, once tried to make us blackberry milkshakes. I can still taste all the seeds mixed in with the milky ice creamy mess. NOT a culinary success.

Ginger Hunter said...

Mrs. Cl, you know about dewberries? I was starting to think I had imagined them, or was the only one who knew about them. We used to pick them as kids and my mom made a great cobbler from them that we ate with homemade ice cream. I cannot find them anywhere! I think that they look too much like blackberries to be taken seriously by our Farmers Market (in College Station).

tydwbleach said...

Ginger You need to make a trip to OREGON!! I think they have them here and I am going to make YET ANOTHER pie tonight I think I will mix Blueberries in with them I froze some earlier.... That pie WAS a little SEEDY. The blueberries here in OR are HUGE.

Today we have to go clear out the house some more.. I do not have to work as many hours today and Bill is meeting me there and were gonna do it while Spencer is at his preschool.

YUCK

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know about dewberries. My grandparents had a small farm in Ft. Worth, and my parents would send us up there with our other cousins for some cheap labor to help them out. This was back in the early 70's, but my grand-dad still used a mule-pulled plow.

I can also fry some mean okra, and will pretty much eat anything except beets. I don't can anything, but my mom still does occasionally.....we also make a really good pecan pie.

tydwbleach said...

BILL's Grandma ZULA was from Ft Worth !!!! She made AWESOME Pecan pies I have heard and she used to send us pecans from Texas all of the time.

Bill's mom grew up in Ft Worth!!! Her whole family is still there - she went to Texas Christian University. She has a degree in Math and then got a job in California with the fed govt when she was just out of college at Pt Mugu AFB in ventura, CA and that is where Bill grew up But she LOVES Ft WOrth and Bill NEVER EVER stops talking abotu the food there.. He lived in Lubbock for a while went to lutherie school out there somewhere and also lived for a while in Level land and some other places.

He talks about all of these restaurants and the great BBQ and Mexican food they have there blah blah blah I have never ever been to Texas but I want to visit I think it sounds just very WILD or something.... really big and open and kind of wild....

we were gonna move there and I REALLLLLLY wanted to but I hate the heat You can get a GREAT house in Texas with a POOL and I would have LOVED to have a house with a pool. Here in OR no one has a pool because it really never stops raining... yet they all have these goofy fountains called "water Features" in their back yards.