Monday, September 3, 2007

One more day off, then its back to the Rat Race.



Today we spent most of the day in Canby at the 'Sploded House, writing down items on a list that we will claim to the insurance co. THese are things that were damaged in the explosion and/or by the subsequent fire, collapse, or water to put out the fire. Because there was a LOT of stuff in the garage, because we had been storing it there and in the bonus room above the garage, a lot of things were damaged. We were storing a LOT of things in thehouse in those two rooms because we were remodeling.

Take your average yellow legal pad, add one item per line. Fill the entire page... I have 34 pages of items. We must document what it is, where we got it, how much it was warth when new how much it would cost to replace it, and the model numbers etc if available. THen you ust PHOTOGRAPH everything. This is for 34 pages of stuff. Then that gets rewritten two places: Official clam forms, and also my own excel spreadsheet. You cannot IMAGINE how fun this is, especially with a three year old and the world's most obnoxious dog.

For example I found two sharpie marker pens, melted together. I found my peach bathrobe that was sort of silky nylon you know? it was a blob of goo because it MELTED in the dryer, along with a bunch of other items: a hat, a book, a tupperware, a crystal vase, a picture frame, a pair of shoes, guitar stuff, serving platters, tile we intended to install in the bathroom floor like three days after the explosion - melted wastebaskets toys of Spencer's... melted Jeep Glow in the dark Basketball... You sit there with your "life" around you and its all a big giant ball of melted goo. But then I look around and Spencer is amusing himself on some old toy of his that he found, and Bill is yelling at the dog for the 41st time to get out of the neighbor's water feature fountain thing, while also going thru a giant box of melted cds, and I am just you know bored, tired, hot, etc but honestly? Life did go on. Life goes on with a lot of stuff missing. No one got hurt Its a HUGE hassle and inconvenience and some days I am despondent and others I am murderously angry and other times depressed but there is NO WAY OUT You have to just slog thru all of that crap in teeny pieces and write it ALLLLLLLL down, and spend every extra minute doing it. THe hardest part is that all of the neighbor's houses that were affected have all been put back together again. They had a crazy but still okay summer and all are ready to go back to school etc Our house is still sitting there, boarded up, weeds everywhere, crap in the front yard, after FIVE MONTHS.

Nothing really to do but keep going, keep working at it, knowing the only way out of McFake McFrance, is Work on the pile and make the list, and try your best to CHOOSE to be happy, and work with your lawyer. Besides, the Dahlia Festival is still on, and soon will be the pumpkin festival. Also, Spencer DID get his cast off on Friday and his leg is healed so THAT is good. I wonder what they give out for Halloween here in the Faux Chateau land? My guess it would be Brie en Croute, caviar on toast points, and cold salmon in aspic.

7 comments:

Ginger Hunter said...

This makes me want to toilet paper Canby Telcom's Board of Directors houses one night. I would make up outrageous things that were lost, like:

-One (1) Saleen S7 Supercar (0-60 in under 3 seconds) Value: 400K
-Assorted Conclusive photos of the Loch Ness monster. Value: 2.8 Million (est)
-One (1) Unicorn Value: Priceless
-Hemingway's lost manuscript (that he always blamed his ex-wife for losing) Value: 300K

tydwbleach said...

OK Ginger THat is HILARIOUS!!!!


Yeah we could TP their house sure, but instead I did something even more nature.. I wrote "Bite Me Canby Telecom" on the back door in ball point pen...


BUT we are used it it.. so we will get thru it.. We are almost done.

But those are HILARIOUS ideas!!! I love the UNICORN You are seriously funny...

And we already claimed NOT the LochNess monster Photos, BUT the ACTUAL Loch Ness Monster. It was living in the second closet of Bill's bonus room, sleeping next to Bill's collection of Sonny Rollins and Bootsie Collins Cds I am not sure what he was living in.. I think Sheet music from the 1980s

Anonymous said...

Omigod! I just finally realized what tragedy this was... You LOST ALL YOUR VINYL? CDs can be replaced but VINYL?!?!?!

That would make me suicidal

Anonymous said...

Yeah Iplaw, I lost a ton of vinyl, most of it not available in any other form. Also, a decent chunk of the cds are also now OOP. The sheet music, instructional books and lesson material of over 25 years of musical study with various teachers is enough to make my brain implode.

Anonymous said...

I lack the hand/eye coordination to play an instrument. So I buy music. Lots of it. Our living room features an entertainment center.. with no television. It has a late 1970's Technics receiver, direct drive turntable, cd player, high end cassette recorder, and even a mini disc player. (actually that's in the basement). And several box sets, plus about 400 CDs in bookshelves along with the Infinity Speakers.

Yes, bigger is STILL better.

(I did agree to put the 800 or so LPs-- very much culled down-- in the basement)

tydwbleach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Iplawguy said...
(I did agree to put the 800 or so LPs-- very much culled down-- in the basement)

I had given in to domestic pressure recently and moved the vinyl, cds, video and dvds (both in cases and books) from several places throughout the house and solidified my collection one room. Unfortunately that room was the bonus room, which collapsed into the burning room below after exploding. I had 600 or so LPs (of which a few over 200 are toast) 2000 cds (of which 300-400 are toast) DAT tapes of gigs, and mixes of a cd I was working on, 300 or so cassette tapes, several reel to reel tapes, Video, DVD, ad infinitum