Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An Homage to Mom....






To celebrate my Dad's birthday. I am, this week, honoring my mom. She was a sister who was doin' it for herself. All day long she put up with sh*t from men in the workplace, and then she came home to me. She had been married to this doctor, my dad, where her main job was going to little luncheons dressed like Doris Day, and steering committees. Then, she flew the coop, and pretty soon Jane was a divorced, bra burning, Gloria Steinem Admiring, '71 Pontiac Catalina Convertible Driving, full time working, single mom. The "Mom" part has long been a little questionable, as I grew up on Stouffer's frozen food, our house looked a little like the one in "Running with Scissors" and the only cookies she ever made were Madelines. However, at least she was around, unlike certain other Oncologists who shall remain nameless.

She cooked, but only from recipes from the New York Times Magazine, and only things like the Hors D'oeurves from Truman Capote's Black and White Ball, or things with capers, caviar and other odd things kids hate.... Stuff like that.
For the dull every day cooking she abhorred, her number one weapon of choice was the CROCK POT.

This week, all week long, we are honoring Jane by making only dinners in the Crock Pot. Forty Years Later, her daughter, who also cannot cook her way out of a paper bag (?) is still using the trust;y old crock pot... But mine is not Harvest Avocado....

All of the recipes this week are from the "Fix it and Forget It Lightly" Cookbook I got from the library. I have recently discovered our library and it is freaking AWESOME and I currently have like 36 books checked out.

So tonight is Stuffed Peppers, tomorrow night is ground beef casserole, then Southwestern chicken, and then on Friday, Beef Stroganoff.

Jane, you were weird and stressed out and a little bit crazy but I loved you very much, and I am a lot like you actually, whether I want to be or not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mom had glasses just like that in the 70's too!

tydwbleach said...

HAHA that is not my mom though... that is Gloria Steinem. I think Gloria in the 70s and Hillary in the 70s could be the same person.

I hate my F*CKING JOB.

Anonymous said...

Gloria was (and is) WAYYY hotter than Hillary.

You loved your job as recently as a few weeks ago.

Ginger Hunter said...

Dang, I thought maybe you were GS's lovebaby. That would be awesome. Your mom and my mom would have had fun together. That woman hasn't been party to a homemade meal since she bought us some great KFC back in 1987. (My stepdad does the cooking). He makes a great crockpot potroast, it is my favorite comfort food. He just sticks a roast in, and then turns it over maybe once in about 4 hours. It is sooo good.

Why do you hate your job Tyd?

Anonymous said...

What are Madelines?
I agree IPLawguy Gloria Steinem was HOT. Hilary not so much. But, Laura Bush is kinda cute too.

tydwbleach said...

Madelienes are these french sort of cake like cookies that are shaped kind of like shells. they have to be made in this special mold.

I did like my job but

A it does not pay very well, which I did not care so much about...

B My boss can be an ass, and he was one today

C His wife had surgery, and so her mim has been haning around the house helping out. For some reason, though I have not sopken three words to her, she does not like mw, and today told Matt that I make personal calls and goof off all the time... which I DO NOT.. I honestly make a personal call occasionally but its maybe like ONE a WEEK.

I ALSO work on my days off, I work when I am sick, on the weekends, I babysit their kids, I gave them our old high chair, walker, swing, and a ton of clothes, I buy presents for their kids all of the time and pay them in gum when they empty the garbage can... Last Saturday I actually changed one of the kids diapers.

Today he told me that I have to write down everything I do all day and leave it for him at the end of each day. He said he is not sure that he can trust that I am committed to the job... His business has increased, he is organized and I just got us a spot as BUSINESS OF THE MONTH at Three different Costcos in 2008.

I do know that the RV guy still wants me and plans to hire me for that job, which pays about $52K a year, (instead of 12 an hour 4 hrs a day) In January.

The job now is not stressful unless I am 42 years and exponentially overqualified and have to write everything I did that day, every day.

SO now I am just pissed off. I was CLOSE to quitting and I did empty my drawer. I have not decided what to do yet. i do like that I can work a little and then spend time with Spencer too. So maybe I will put up with the crap a little longer. Esp since we are building a house, and I will be working right there.

So whatever.. My mom put up with crap like this a lot in her time, and she did not really have an option to quit.