This is the best Pairs Long program I have ever ever ever witnessed. The Long program at the 1994 Olympics which won the Gold,(their second gold) by married Russian Pair skaters Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov. He later died of a heart attack after months of weird symptoms that no one caught. She became a solo skater a very successful one and then later married Ilia Kulik, the gold medalist Men's from the Nagano Olympics. She had a daughter with Sergei, Daria, and later,another daughter with Ilia Kulik, named Elizabeth.
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Tyd you are just baiting me with these vids! Trivia about this program: it is one of the very few times Sergei made a mistake. They retained their eligibility and he was set on winning again in 1998.
WOW... They did not make it, obviously But in the end she is still married to the Gold Medal Winner from 1998... its Ilia Kulik.
She is great and he is very young and I wonder how he is dealing with being a Dad of two girls - or do they have three now? He went from a hot Porsche driving movie star skater bachelor dude to Married with two kids pretty quickly.
I know its hard to watch all these skating videos that I just discovered on You Tube and NOT want to put them on my silly lame blog. I could turn this blog into a skating blog only butthen I would disappoint all three of my fans.... and how could I do that to my public?
I'm sure there are more than 3...your 'spolding house is still topic of conversation at Baylor. Actually we all wanted to see the demolition on youtube!
Katia and Illia have just two (Liza and Daria)...Liza is just a doll and Illia is coaching her already. I have no doubt she will live up to the family gold medal legacy.
well I am pretty sure Bill took movies of it, I know we took a lot of pictures they are on my blog somewhere....
Yeah we would be nowhere without our lawyers about now. Quelle Nightmare. I call them Batman and Robin.
I will have to see if Bill can figure out how to turn his movies into YouTube stuff. That would be interesting... huh?
Her youngest daughter's name is actually Elizaveta, not Elizabeth. Her nickname is Liza (pronounced Lee-za). And, G&G did relinquish their eligibility for a second time after 1994. They competed in four professional competitions after the 1994 Olympics, any of which would have cost them their eligibility under the International Skating Union rules. According to her book, they planned to petition for reinstatment in 1998 (as they did in 1994), but in hindsight we know they would not have been allowed to do so. Reinstatement was allowed for the first and last time for the 1994 Games. But, that is ancient history at this point. Had they been allowed to, however, I firmly believe they would have won. Instead, Katia sat in the stands and cheered for her friend and G&G's long-time rival (Artur Dimitriev) as he became the first man to win two Olympic Gold medals in pairs with two different partners.
G&G two remain the greatest pairs skaters in the history of the sport. I envy anyone who got to see them live, as I can only wish that I had. Katia is a lovely skater in her own right and I have very much enjoyed watching her grow and blossom in the years since Sergei's tragic passing. But, that doesn't change the fact that G&G were the best pair ever to grace the ice (as well as a beautiful couple off-ice).
I wish Katia and her gorgeous family nothing but joy and happiness. And, I hope she continues to perform for many years to come. BTW, Ilia is almost 31 years old. Not 'very young' by any standard. And, from the comments he has made, he's dealing with family life and fatherhood quite happily. His devotion to his wife and their daughters is very evident.
Post a Comment