Benefits Associated With The Weight Of Le Creuset
- Distributes the heat more evenly.
- Ensures moisture and flavors are sealed in by heavy, tight fitting lids.
- Increases pan's longevity by preventing warping or burning.
- Retains heat longer, which keeps food hot when serving.
- Is lined with Plutonium
- Pan plays soothing Beethoven which braising your beef
- Comes with a lifetime membership to the Maidstone Club in Easthampton so you can hang with Ina
- Act now to receive our rare Columbian emerald encrusted meat thermometer: a $24,999.00 Value!
My husband likes to cook, In fact he does most of the cooking in our house I do only my hideous experimental cooking However I do have a specialty and that is the crock pot cooking. I also make GREAT soup. I mean that soup is GREAT I had only made about 400 gallons of it RIGHT before the house exploded and it was all stored in the freezer, which I think a firefighter landed on top of. Our neighbors saved the freezer for us but the soup had to all be thrown away.
Growing up my mother was sort of a vicarious thrill kind of chef.... she would READ cookbooks a lot, and CLIP A TON of recipes particularly form the New Your Times Magazine section every Sunday. In fact, she clipped so many that I found like 7 binders full of clipped recipes and some were from like 1971. I found recipes for black and white food that were from Truman Capote's Black and White ball in 1962. or 66? I dunno ANYWAY. My mother was LITERALLY reading a cookbook on her deathbed.. I mean, like the DAY she died the last book she had read was literally a cook book. I think it was all about having a TAPAS party.... Honestly, I inherited about 200 cookbooks, and I still have them all and yet I still also obsessively rent cookbooks from the library as well.
SO she would also buy a lot of specialty cooking equipment in the hopes that one day she might use it but never ever did. Thus, I also inherited things like springform pans, Madeleine molds, canape cutters, butter molds, puff pastry cutters that make the puff pastry into shells or fish dishes to hold the lobster salad... melon ballers, odd knives and spoons and tongs, demitasse cups, espresso cups, Pots de Creme cups, mini ramekins, you name it, if it was weird, it was in our house. Unfortunately she rarely cooked, and most nights made frozen stuff.
However she did have these weird pans I hated. She was quite proud of her set of Le Creuset cookware - which was in the color BLEU. I only know that when I wanted to scramble some eggs or make a grilled cheese that the saute pan weighed about 34 pounds and was a pain to wash. When I would go to other people's houses I would notice that they had NORMAL stainless steel or whatever cookware, with the copper on the bottom maybe. Did we have any of that? Nope. So non of my friends were risking life and limb pouring the pasta into the colander when it had been cooked in a pan that filled with water weighed about 87 pounds. I reallllly thought my mother was insane and I VOWED NEVER to have those stupid pans in my house when I grew up.
However, since like her, I make a LOT of SOUP like all the time, My regular stock pots are okay but I would prefer a Le Creuset round Dutch Oven like my mother had. I got a set of All Clad for our wedding, but a lot of it has been ruined by burning... sometimes Bill's fault, sometimes mine... and my stock pot is only 6 qts.
SO the other day I went online looking for a Dutch Oven like my mom had. I was thinking maybe a nine quart. I found one. Price? $289.00 ON SALE.
Tell me WHY does this stupid pan cost this much????? The All Clad is the same price, but for my soup I would prefer to have one that cannot be killed by conventional weapons. America's Test Kitchen is this amazing cooking show that also rates equipment. They tested tons of Dutch Ovens. Usually they sort of like to prove that you don't have to spend a million dollars on a chef knife or a grill pan to be a good cook, but in this case? Their panel chose only three.... What do you think those were?
All Clad,
Le Creuset and
Mario Batali.
I looked at Mario's His was the bargain one at ONLY $100.00 and it seems nice but he only makes a 6 qt.
I already have a 6 qt All Clad.
So what does that leave?????
Second verse, same as the first!
Luckily I live down I -5 from the Woodburn Company Stores - which is an Outlet Mall (where the prices seem not that much better than the normal overpriced pretentious mall, Bridgeport Village -home of the Beautiful People, which is just NORTH on I-5.....) but they do have great stores... Columbia, Nike, Gap, Harry & David, and ALSO.....get this, has a Le Creuset OUTLET!!!!! AND I see they are having a sale in the middle of Feb so I will go to that and hope for the best... But I will NEVER NEVER EVER understand why the hell this pan has to cost three hundred dollars?????? It is lined with Plutonium? I mean what the hell is that about anyway????


0 comments:
Post a Comment