Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I have been watching this fascinating series on PBS



It is called CARRIER and it is like a 5 part series where each part is two hours long. I have watched three of the five so far. It is all about life aboard the US Navy Carrier the USS NIMITZ. It is so captivating and it is on all this week on PBS. It profiles people in every rank, pilots, petty officers, cooks, navigators, those guys in the colored shirts that wave the planes on and off the ship.... just everyone. It gives a true glimpse into life aboard an aircraft carrier for 6 months and it is just amazing... I never knew the Navy was SO STRICT.

Anyway you can see parts of it here and read about it and if it is on near you you should watch it. It is SO interesting!!! They have to sleep in teeny weeny beds, and the ship holds 6000 people!!!
http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_1_carrier_2008-04-30


I learned SO MUCH about the Us Navy. Did you know those planes cost like 60 million dollars? That in one episode a guy went overboard and they searched for him for three days but they never found him... It tells about what they do all day on the ship... its really compelling.

0 comments: