Monday, September 29, 2008

I made an apple pie today. Also: Chicken Paprikash Recipe

My very FIRST apple pie with crust I made MYSELF (as opposed to buying it).
The wine in the background is for Chicken Scallopini Bill is making for dinner later.


I made it with apples from a friend who has a bunch of apple trees. Her name is Heidi, and she is the mom of Spencer's friend Helaina at preschool, who is also in his Karate class. She gave us an old leather love seat, which is perfect in the place we are using it, esp since the kid and the dog will mostly be on it. She also gave us a bunch of apples.

For the first time EVER, I actually made the crust myself!!! The apples were very fragrant and had almost a flowery scent. It was good, thought it was a little CRUN-CHEWY.

I might have done something wrong because I had a LOT of leftover crust. I used it to make a crostini with the extra apples, but it was small and we ate it before I coudl take a picture of it.


Chicken Paprikash From "Jazz Cooks"
I eat this all the time at my Mother In Law Mary Jo's house, and I LOVE It. She makes hers in an electric skillet that ii NOT non-stick and I think it turns out a little better than if you do it the way I did in a non stick.


Chicken Paprikash From "Jazz Cooks"

2-3 T veg oil
1 large white onion, diced
8 chicken thighs ( but I just use those frozen "chicken tenders," thawed)
2 heaping T of Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
pinch salt
5 oz sour cream (or plain yogurt)

OPTIONAL:
Egg noodles (half a package) or rice is good with this, but you don't have to put it over anything..it is good by itself too!

In a Skillet enough to hold all of the chicken, over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saute, until translucent. Make room for the chicken a little.
Add the chicken (leaving the onions in there) and sear on all sides, 3-4 minutes a side. When the chicken is cooked, sprinkle it all with the Paprika so that chicken is coated all over. Add the tomato sauce, and the salt. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover the pan, and cook for 25 minutes, checking it occasionally to see if there is enough water in the sauce, If not add a little. test the chicken, after 25 minutes, and if cooked through, remove it from the heat. Cook longer if necessary.
Add the sour cream only after the dish is removed from the heat. Have some extra sour cream at the table if people want it as a garnish.

6 comments:

tydwbleach said...

Ok gotta say The apple pie turned out EXTREMELY weird. I may have used the wrong kid of apples. I KNOW I messed up the crust it was too sticky in the beginning and I am not sure that after you put it in the pie dish that you are supposed to have THAT MUCH dough left over... YIKES> It was CRUN-CHEWY.
And the apples smelled like flowers they were very interesting but they were more like quince than apples... kind of like an apple pear hybrid... very interesting and fragrant but combined with a goofy crust, it was just baaaaad I still have half a huge bag of apples left and thus, I may make some applesauce tomorrow, because Spencer loves it and I do too but no more pies. I suck at pies,. I may try a few more things later one if I get brave but until I can get better at the crust I am gonna BUY it again.

tydwbleach said...

You know what that crust was like? It was kind of like filo dough but WITHOUT all the layers. soooooooooo weird.

Anonymous said...

Apple Pie:

I have been using the "cook's illustrated" method for a few years with great results. Requires a couple of extra steps though.

If your crust tends to be soggy on the bottom, pre-bake your bottom crust for a bit (5-10 min.). Remember to prick it (or use pie weights/dried beans/etc.) so it doesn't puff up. Do not completely bake it.

After you let the apples mascerate (cut and cored and mixed with your sweeteners and spices) for about thirty minutes, pre-cook them a bit on the stovetop in a saucepan. They should still be pretty hard; do not let them get mushy. Remove the fruit, but reduce the remaining liquid in the pan at least by 1/2. (I've reduced it to a thick syrup before and it works fine, but it is hard to get it out of the pan.)

Fill your partially baked piecrust with the partially cooked apples and reduced liquid and top it with your top crust and bake.

*also, as you mentioned, some apples are better for pies than others. I usually use a mix of different types.

Your pie looked great by the way. I can hardly wait to make one myself.

Ginger Hunter said...

The pie LOOKS good, anyway!! I will have to see what my mom's pie crust recipe is and share it, it is phenom. Thanks for posting the chicken recipe, I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

I would eat it, i dont care- that looks really good. The whole composition of the picture is actually really good too, like a cookbook picture- more food blogging!

tydwbleach said...

Thank You!

Well the pie did LOOK good.... if I do say so myself.

SO in that picture is my starfish bowl which is full of those things I put in water all the time.... those like Crystal light singles things?

And then there is an elevated plate that is striped that had some lemos from the corn l;ady ont here and couple of onions and then we have a LOT of tomatoes to use up and I need to use them soon. THey are on my fish platter. I like things that are blue and our sea related.
I sat the pie up on top of this book that the crust recipe was in.

Today i was thinking of making applesauce, but I doubt it will turn out so photogenic... but I know Spencer loves applesauce.

I have been preoccupied today by all the DOOMSDAY reports on TV today. Gawd.