
The annual KIHN Cert :
http://www.kfox.com/pages/summersendoff.html
Remember Greg Kihn?
"Our Love's in Jeopardy...Baby...... oooooooooh oooooooh oooooooh"
and a couple of other hits in the 80s? He is a DJ on San Jose's KFOX Classic Rock station. He still has a band and he is friends with this guy who owns Souther Lumber, one of Bill's wood guys in San Jose. A few years back they started this contest, I think the first one was 2004. THey have this concert with some famous people, some tribute bands some other stuff.... and they give away a couple of guitars. They chose Bill to make those guitars out of Southern lumber wood, and he has been making them for them every year. The first year they did it the featured band was THE WHO, I cannot remember the next year's ones because I did not live there anymore, but also because I had a toddler, and did not get out much. I MOSTLY these days remember the DEADLINE that Bill has to meet to get these things made in time to get them to Jeff to be photographed etc for the ad campaign. Every year before it hits he is basically a basket case but this year was worse but whatever he got them done. The first year he made four of them, I am not sure how many this time. Each one has been different.
ANYWAY..... The deadline has passed, Bill got them done and now the KIHN Cert is upon us... This year it is a bunch of old bands... like the Doobie Brothers... and some others I cannot remember. I never attended any of the KIHN Certs because for the first one I had a new baby. and the next one we lived here but Bill went down for a lot of them..
CHECK OUT the description of the WOOD on that guitar.... and Welcome to MY world...
"...figured myrtle semihollow mahogany old growth whatever......" he actually talks about wood IN HIS SLEEP. Not that that is a bad thing... I learn a lot.
ANYWAY Follow this link to get info on all the details... There is a picture of one of the guitars they are giving away. But of course I would go this year, but of course I have bigger plans... Its almost time for CORNFEST '07.
Yet, still...... CHAPIN GUITARS RULE, Dude.
P.S.: You know WEIRD AL did a parody of that song and I thought Greg Kihn would have been mad about it But he gave him permission. Turns out Greg Kihn made a LOT of money off weird Al's "I Lost On Jeopardy."
Thursday, August 23, 2007
If it is August in San Jose, CA then it must time for...
Posted by
tydwbleach
at
12:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
OK HERE is something funny.... Ready? I was trying to think of some of the bands and I know one was this old one called Big Brother and the Holding Company..... I saw that when I actually read the thing for the concert just now. But I SWEAR to you... until I read it I was thinking it was Big Brother and the FOLDING Company.... HAHAHAHAHHAHAAH
I crack myself up. I was like WOW that is sure a WEIRD name for a band.
Tyd,
Big Brother and the Holding Company is Janis Joplin's old band. Any old stoner knows that, Dude.
This sounds like a GREAT show. I would love to see some of those bands.
ZZ Top has a song called "Woke Up With Wood." Its not about guitars.
HAHAHAHA
Yeah the FOLDING CO hahah I found that out LAST NIGHT See how OUT OF THE LOOP I am?
Wait you REALLLY would want to go to that concert? NO disrespect for all of them but I actually thought the Doobie Bros were like uhmmmm dead in a plane crash.
ok well if you get to San Jose, Iknow a guy.... hahahaha you can go free... but you need to fly there first...
CORN FEST is UPON IS... the countdown begins
No, the Doobie Bros. hired Michael McDonald and that brought their careers down in flames. Tom Simmons and Patrick Russell are still alive and rockin', I believe.
Has Bill told you why they're called the Doobie Bros.? It has NOTHING to do with Romper Room!
Sadly, I will have to pass on the Kihn cert this year. But if they want to protect the name or any logos, let me know!
BTW, you left off my favorite cover band, Lez Zeppelin... Yes, an all girl version.
Crystal Ship was an east coast Doors covers band and New Potato Caboose covered the Dead
It is so funny that you are talking Greg Kihn today! Last night I was looking for Weird Al concert tickets for my middle brother (who is a HUGE fan) and saw a link to "Yoda" a parody of the Kinks' Lola, one of my favorite songs ever, so I watched a live Youtube of Weird Al, and saw the Weird Al "I lost on Jeopardy" video. Check out the video, at the end...Greg Kihn makes a cameo appearance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAPcagtoaMs
I wanted to see Kihn's Jeopardy video, but...Youtube has pulled it because Kihn's record label cited copyright violation. It is disappointing, because for me, the video is not something I would pay to see, and VH1 only plays clips of older videos.
HI GINGER !!!
Hey I LOVE Weird Al. My Fav is the Amish Paradise one...
Here are the lyrics to entertain you...
"Amish Paradise"
As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain
I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me
You know, I shun fancy things like electricity
At 4:30 in the morning I'm milkin' cows
Jebediah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows... fool
And I've been milkin' and plowin' so long that
Even Ezekiel thinks that my mind is gone
I'm a man of the land, I'm into discipline
Got a Bible in my hand and a beard on my chin
But if I finish all of my chores and you finish thine
Then tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699
We been spending most our lives
Living in an Amish paradise
I've churned butter once or twice
Living in an Amish paradise
It's hard work and sacrifice
Living in an Amish paradise
We sell quilts at discount price
Living in an Amish paradise
A local boy kicked me in the butt last week
I just smiled at him and turned the other cheek
I really don't care, in fact I wish him well
'Cause I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in hell
But I ain't never punched a tourist even if he deserved it
An Amish with a 'tude? You know that's unheard of
I never wear buttons but I got a cool hat
And my homies agree, I really look good in black...fool
If you come to visit, you'll be bored to tears
We haven't even paid the phone bill in 300 years
But we ain't really quaint, so please don't point and stare
We're just technologically impaired
There's no phone, no lights, no motorcar
Not a single luxury
Like Robinson Caruso
It's as primitive as can be
We been spending most our lives
Living in an Amish paradise
We're just plain and simple guys
Living in an Amish paradise
There's no time for sin and vice
Living in an Amish paradise
We don't fight, we all play nice
Living in an Amish paradise
Hitchin' up the buggy, churnin' lots of butter
Raised a barn on Monday, soon I'll raise anoder
Think you're really righteous? Think you're pure in heart?
Well, I know I'm a million times as humble as thou art
I'm the pious guy the little Amlettes wanna be like
On my knees day and night scorin' points for the afterlife
So don't be vain and don't be whiny
Or else, my brother, I might have to get medieval on your hiney
We been spending most our lives
Living in an Amish paradise
We're all crazy Mennonites
Living in an Amish paradise
There's no cops or traffic lights
Living in an Amish paradise
But you'd probably think it bites
Living in an Amish paradise
the DOOBIE BROTHERS.. they are called that because of Frank Sinatra., right?
Youknow I never really smokled GUNGE or SKINGE or whatever you and Osler call it... but I do know what "Doobie" is..
OK there is a CRAZY and at times CRINGE PRODUCING movie called The 40 Year Old Virgin." Its funny as hell and stupid and horrible and all of the above. My FAV thing about that movie though is where the manager of that electronics store INSISTS on playing Michael McDonald music on all of the TV sets ALL day EVERY DAY there is a quote from Paul Rudd and he tells her:
David: "If I have to hear "Yamo Be There" one more time, I'm going to "Yamo" burn this place to the ground."
I laughed SO hard at that one....
And another one from that movie...
Smart Tech Customer:
If I buy this T.V. will you throw in the DVD [refering to Michael McDonald DVD that David hates]?
David:
I tell you what, you don't buy the T.V. and I'll throw in the DVD.
-------------------------
David: Hey, Paula.
Paula: Yeah?
David:
I gotta tell you something. I'm really excited about it. Uh, for the first time, today, I woke up, I came to the store, and I - I feel confident to say to you that if you don't take this Michael McDonald DVD - that you've been playing for two years straight - off, I'm going to kill everyone in the store and put a bullet in my brain!
Paula:
David, what do you suggest we play?
David:
I don't care. Anything! I would rather - I would rather watch "Beautician And The Beast". I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald. Nothin' against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, "Yah Mo" burn this place to the ground.
Paula:
You're such a smartass. Get back on the floor.
Post a Comment