
Just curious.
I did high school and then of course the plan was to also finish college but then of course all of the detours occurred... but here I am. I did go to school for the rest of the 80s and all of the 90s and the first half of the "00s...... But I did mange to finish college. After like 5 schools, 17 majors (I counted once) and 19 years, I finished my B.S. I am not a quitter.
Just in the nick of time, too. Then I married this fine gentleman, then we all got ourselves some big hair with that whole "crispy bangs" thing and moved to Canby and settled down. This look just hit the big time here in Canby, along with acid wash jeans, the rubik's cube and Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album.
Saturday, August 18, 2007
So....What did YOU do during the 1980's?
Posted by
tydwbleach
at
10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
What a fantastic picture! I remember those days all too well . . . I was going to college at Brevard and UVA, starting my first job when I was 21 and feeling in over my head (working in college admissions which at Savannah College of Art & Design was really just a sales job), moved to Boston, moved back to Savannah; was trying to figure out my life, basically, with varying degrees of success . . . worked in admissions, worked as an admin assistant, as a paralegal . . . learned a lot about asbestos disease and art schools and people, mainly. Just learned a lot about the world . . . learning about myself caught up more slowly, in the 90s and 00s . . .
Sigh, I am very jealous. My older brother was in high school in the 80's and I just loved everything 80's. I was listening to Tiffany, Depeche Mode and Prince thatnks to my college-bound eldest brother (who was a DJ) and playing with My Little Pony and She-Ra dolls. I also wore a single ponytail out the side of my head. Those were the days.
Tiffany...scary hahaha
I honestly was like pretty unhappy my entire life until like 1992. I remember one day I just said to myself: "Self? this is stupid. Life is short. Just do what you want to do."
and then I gave up caring about what anyone else thinks about anything and I was finally more happy. so for me the 80s sucked.
Tyd,
I had the same revelation myself in College, but it took years to make it stick. I finished college where I made life long friends and started to find my footing socially (but just barely), worked for a tiny salary on a losing campaign for an idiot Republican candidate in a recession year (1982) in a very Democratic and Pro-Union state (Maryland), got a job on Capitol Hill because I had no idea what else to do with myself, stayed there another 4 years, made a fool of myself with various women, spent two weeks in Great Britain as an adult travelling from B&B and making no acquaintances, went to Law School, did not make the most of my academic opportunities yet again, had a disastarous love affair and graduated with a good job in the field of Intellectual Property Law, and finally went to Europe for five weeks and had a great time.
The 80's for me.
Yes, discovering that "I think we're alone now" was NOT written by Tiffany was a pretty big moment in my musical education, heh, heh.
But what you guys are talking about is serious and interesting. It is cool how you guys talk about life as a work in progress, I wish that someone had told me that when I was younger. There is too much pressure to be settled, happy and perfect by a certain age, and that sucks. I think you guys sound like you have found happiness your own way and are pretty well adjusted. That is awesome.
Thanks, Ginger! Well, life is still a work in progress for me. We all grew up with that idea that you get to a perfect point where you've figured it all out and you're settled, and I am still wrestling with the fact that that just never happens! Of course, we do get more comfortable with ourselves. At least, I have.
You sound very, very together yourself!
Life is definitely about the journey and not the destination.
And I've had to remind myself of that over and over again. I've been through so many changes in just the past four years, its kind of incredible. I know I am due for even more in the next four years.
Depeche Mode didn't write Route 66 either, btw
IPLG,
Noooo!!!!!
:)
Yeah I just really woke up and like I was married with a kid I was 40 I finally had the coveted Bachelor's degree that for so long had eluded me, and it was like SO WHAT??
I think no one wants to admit that your 20s are usually a disaster I mean that is the time you fall in love with the wrong people and NO ONE can convince you they are the wrong for you. THey treat you like total CRAP for like three years and then THEY break up with YOU..and you spend the next year totally depressed and THEN you FINALLLLY get it... I mean WHO HAS NOT been thru this ?
THen in your thirties hopefully things are better but maybe not? AND SOMETIMES like me it is not until like 1987 that you finally learn to like yourself, yet it takes like another 5 years to sort of sink in.
Now that I am 42, married, old, have a toddler and not exactly my dream job and my house blew up I should be miserable and sometimes I am but mostly not. I am happy with myself and who I am.
The point is now You know I have different goals.
I am trying so so so hard to be a great mom, and try to fill my son with confidence and security and love so that he will have confidence and be self assured.
Post a Comment