



What is it exactly about this place that people come here for vacations, get lost on roads, or in forests or up on mountains and just never come back???
Since I have lived here there have been many cases of people getting lost here. There were the climbers on Mt Hood this past year http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16262193/ who were looking for adventure, but found out too late that Mt Hood is not for the novice. There was the heartbreaking story of the Kim family http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/06/missing.family/index.html on vacation with their two kids who were visiting family and then wanted a quick fun getaway to the coast and ended up stranded on the forest when they took the wrong road. In that case, the mom and the kids survived but the dad, sadly did not make it. , There was a priest and his female friend, who drove up from CA and crashed into a ditch at the side of the road, and no one discovered them for three weeks. They both perished. There was a guy who came for a wedding and drove from Portland to the coast and never really made it. There was a guy who took a wrong turn on a road they usually close for the winter in his motorhome, and they closed it for the winter after having discovered that they had forgotten to put the sign up. He died in his motorhome, which got stuck int he snow, but they found this diary he kept and he could not fugure out why no cars had come by that he coulf flag down for help. Now they just found this lady who was lost for two weeks. http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=7038633&nav=menu494_1 She and her husband were following some scenic route or historic trail or something and they ran out of gas. They both set off on foot to get help but she got thirsty and went to look for water while he kept going. They found him, fine and then it took them two weeks to find here. She was 76, with a broken hip, but she is now in stable condition and doing okay.
I get why people want to come here, there is a lot of really beautiful scenery, the coast is gorgeous, and the weather is mild if you are not in the mountains. But, the mountains here are not bunny hills, and the forests are not small - they are deep and dark and dense and endless. On the coast there are high and rocky cliffs, and NO ONE swims in the ocean here, it is just too cold. In the summer you can explore tide pools or go whale watching or whatever but that is about it. THe Pacific Ocean is freezing freezing cold, even in CA. THe only place it is really warm enough to swim is Southern California. The roads here in Oregon are not easy to navigate and there are thousands of miles of Oregon that are just uninhabited by people.
The point is, if you are going to come here and explore, think twice, or use a guide. Even the maps are not always accurate. Also do not take any roads that you think may be shortcuts, or that you have been advised to stay off of. Also maybe if you want to come here to hike and explore BE PREPARED. Make sure you have all the correct equipment, and even some stuff you don't think you will need, just in case.
One time on our first trip here,l early in our marriage, it was our anniversary and we were at the coast. We were staying at this nice hotel but it was in an isolated town with one restaurant. We wanted to go to a different restaurant, and so we drove there. On the way home, it was getting dark, we were running out of gas, and we got hopelessly lost on this forest road. There was NO CELL PHONE signal, and ONE radio station that was some public station who had this woman who sangs these horrible songs about her cat. So weird. We both thought that this state is SO WEIRD we are NEVER going to live here... We eventually found our way back in the dark but we had some TENSE MOMENTS and it could have turned out badly. As we drove thru the state on that trip I remember thinking:
1. HOW DID Lewis and Clark EVER get through this???
2. These trees are SOOOOO tall.
3. There is no cell service, there are NO GAS STATIONS, just bait shops and drive thru espressos!!!! There is NO WAY of getting help if you are stranded....
SO you have been warned... Come and visit our beautiful state, but be prepared.
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Oregon's new state motto: "COME GET LOST IN OREGON!"
Posted by
tydwbleach
at
11:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I loved visiting the Oregon coast and its inland forests. I think us "free-spirited nature-loving REI member-type non-Oregonians" like the adventure and exploration potential of touring areas that are relatively unspoiled. Then we can go back to our commercial congested stressful urban way of life and dream about being able to live in a state like Oregon.(I had the same feeling when I visited Vermont.) We tend to forget that most Oregonians live in large cities like Portland and growing suburbs and cities like Canby.
IT is kind of cool that all of that stuff is so close by and also I make fun of Canby a lot but it is great to be where we are ,kind of out from civilization, with all the berry farms and orchards and nurseries.. We are about ten minutes from the free way and metro Portland so its not TOOO far out Just enough I guess. I am trying to convince EVERYONE I KNOW to come and live here. I have never been happier in a place. But everyone hesitates. I am not sure what they are all worried about. The climate is great, the jobs are all over the real estate market is hanging in there, Its hardly any real crime, I mean its AWESOME THe weather is PERFECT. Its like Seattle, but without Puget Sound and Microsoft. I KNOW you all would love it here but no one ever moves here. We bought our house in Fall 2004 for about $265k It is now worth about $400K.
SO far, so good. I love it here. But then, I stay our of the forest.... I can see Mt Hood from my house and that is close enough for me....
My stepdad used to hunt bears in Oregon every summer with his grandfather. For a boy from Brooklyn, that was pretty awesome, the last of the great American wilderness.
Well GInger... you know it is mostly still here! There are a few more malls probably, a few more drive thru espressos... but for the most part it is a couple of cities SURROUNDED by wilderness.
Maybe you could work at my attorney's firm? Iplaw got us our attorney, Joel. He works there too, but in Wash DC it is a national firm. Let's face it, if they hired Iplaw, they will hire ANYONE..hahahaha Just Kidding.. Seriously we need lawyers here too!
YOU COULD MOVE HERE I would find you a house or apt, and give you the lowdown on the good Drive Thru espressos...And you could be here in time for the Pumpkin Festival!!
REALLY... If you ever wanna ck out Portland, You could stay here at the Faux Chateau, Maybe Iplaw could get Joel to give you the skinny on the legal scene here in Rose City, or whatever.; I think between the three of us we could hook you up... Of course, you have to babysit Spencer for thirteen hours a day.... for three weeks, but its a small price to pay.
TOnight diring dinner he kept saying over and over and over again: "Mommy Robot, Mommy Robot, Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,Mommy Robot,.." ARGH!
WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN????? he can be SOOOOO annoying But very very cute.
Ha ha, I love kids, they are so weird and make no apology for it. I am scouring Austin for jobs, but will keep Portland in mind. The fact that I would have to take the Oregon bar exam after finishing the Texas one is severely off-putting...though I would like to see the faux chateau in person!
I wonder if the Oregon bar exam has bear hunting or wilderness survival on it? That would be cool.
Post a Comment