When the rain finally stops and Summer in Oregon starts, many things happen: The Corn Festival, the Clackamas County Fair, the Goat show, the Rodeo, The Corn Lady opens for business, All the U-PICK farms open (where you go to pick blueberries, blackberries, marionberries, raspberries, olalleberries, oslerberries, discoberries, strawberries, lingonberries, obamaberries, iplawberries and corncannonberries) PLUS.... People get realllly crazy and everyone paints their houses.
You have to, because you only have about three days in June before Monsoon Season starts again, so you have to act fast. In case you are not from Oregon, Monsoon Season lasts from about June 12 to June 9th. Its a lot of rain, but those two days of sunshine a year here are totally worth it.
This year in our neighborhood, there is truly some kind of an epidemic... Maybe its because gas is like 7 dollars a gallon and no one can afford to drive anywhere except to Home Depot to get more paint. Or maybe they figure they cannot sell their houses in this economy, so they had better make them look nice and enjoy them while they are living. Or maybe The Corn Lady used a little too much fertilizer on her crops this year, which are directly adjacent to my subdivision, and the fumes drifted over here and made everyone go insane, or temporarily blind, or perhaps both. Its had to say, but people in our neighborhood are going CRAZY with paint this year.
The biggest trend is DARK colors, especially dark green and dark royal blue. ALso everyone is using this paint that ir really shiny instead of the normal flat kind lately. Also I see a lot of houses that have not one color and trim but like FOUR DIFFERENT colors trim one color, Mian body another then like door a third, and then you know the wood stuff near the roof is yet another color, and so on. Oh and NOT JUST dark blue, there is Very dark green, Very dark brown, Very dark red - you name it. There is an almost black house next door to our old house right now, and honestly it LOOKS OKAY!!! I saw a purple house today. To each their own, it is very cloudy here, and maybe we do need to brighten up the place a bit....
But then I saw this house:
Wow. Maybe they are U of Michigan Football fans? You cannot see it here but the trim is bright yellow. I dunno... GO BLUE!!!!!
Anyway Ours is probably going to be THIS color we have almost totally decided:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I KNOW!!!! But what can I say?
I love gray, and I have had ENOUGH excitement this year.
Also we got to the Sploded house today and someone had stolen the driveway....
I guess they are getting ready to replace the concrete and that is one the last big hurdles.
Today Spencer started Creative Arts Day Camp at his preschool. He had fun, but we had to make a mad dash to swimming. There are kids from his preschool in his art camp this week, including his little buddy Dylan T (one of the three Dylans at his school, Dylan T. is the Dylan with two moms.) Both of Dylan's moms are very nice, but I can only ever remember one of their names. I think HEATHER is the one who drives the Camry, and The Other One drives the Volvo wagon. When they switch cars I really get in trouble.
Also I got a hair cut today. I chopped it allll off. SO far no one has even noticed. Not even Bill, and he was there. I like it though. I love having long hair and throwing it all up into a bun with a scrunchie, but it is not a good look for me, really, and Bill hates it. He calls it my "Old Lady Bun." I got into the habit of it in Nursing school, because we all had to wear our hair up off our collars.
SO anyway. I went back to my blunt bobb. I almost went as far as the Victoria Beckham hairdo, but I was afraid I would look more like SCARY Spice than Posh Spice. SO now I look like my mother. Which is not bad I guess.
Oh and Spencer got the funniest thing at Walgreen's yesterday: It is this fish light... it was like 10 bucks but he LOVES it. it lights up and then the fish "SWIM" inside. It really does look like an aquarium, sort of... He sleeps with it on at night.
Also yesterday I got him two more Fake Jibbets for his Fake Crocs: A turtle, and a Penguin. The turtle is because Spencer is my turtle, and the penguin is so he can be inspired to reach his goal of joining the Canby Penguins.







0 comments:
Post a Comment