
Today we figured out that Spencer will graduate from High School in Class of 2022. YIKES!!!!!! How scary is THAT???? We are debating on where to send him for school next year. The public schools of Canby are all pretty good, except for the one that is near our house, and everyone we know is pulling their kids out of it. Thus, we are on the search for the perfect Elem School for Spencer. We only have the one kid, so it will be bad paying tuition, but not as bad as if we have like 4 kids. We are looking at a couple of Parochioal Schools in the area, two of them being St John The Baptist in Milwaukie (http://www.sjbcatholicschool.org/) and the C S Lewis Academy in Newberg (http://www.cslewisacademy.com/) Both would be a commute and a sacrifice of sorts in a lot of ways, but have one chance to educate this kid so we might as well do it right. Neither place costs more than our current preschool, and somehow we are pulling that out of thin air for the past three years. I guess we will just have to fire the Butler and the Maid. There is the Pacific Northwest Academy, but it is twice as expensive and honestly it reminds me of a school in my home town that I hated. I even went there and I hated it.
This decision is a way off, as he will be at Teacher Gina's Preschool for another year. He does not start Kindergarten until next year.
They came and drilled the extra hole in the granite for the instant hot thing, and they will come back and install it tomorrow. Then just a few lights are backordered, and the storm door has to be installed and that is about it! We have a house!
It rained today for a bit, and reminded everyone that there are going to be just a few more sunny days left in the season and then Monsoon Season starts for real. However it is supposed to be in the 80s this coming weekend. Not much news to report, as evidenced that I am giving the weather report today...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Spencer will be Class of 2022. That's kind of freaking me out....
Posted by
tydwbleach
at
1:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I have never understood what makes one school better than another. I know some schools have a lower student to teacher ratio (better for corralling?), but how do you know the education is better?
My friend has her daughters in a prep school called Hockaday in Dallas, but I think an inner city public school could still provide a kid with the same opportunity to learn, while creating a more balanced adult in the long run. Of, course, I may think this because I do not have kids... :)
i agree, my nephews are in a private school and they wear uniforms and do not play football, but are in the chess club, and know Latin...what is this country coming to?! what happened to rub some dirt onnit and sharing textbooks? made me who i am today... no comments on that, plz!
Well in our case there really is an issue with the one public school Spencer can go to and they wil NOT let us out of it. They have this Dual Language Immersion thing which I guess is pretty bad but some kids like it but we have thouroughly researched it it is NOT right for Spencer.
So there are two classes that are going to be that, and then the third class if you do NOT want to do the Spanish Immersion is you go in this class where they do not teach to f=different levels SO like all the kids have to learn all the same spelling words and read all the same books and do all the same math etc so everyone is sort of "dumbed down" to one level. SO its either he goes to school where literally 90% of the class is taught IN SPANISH and he has NO DIEA what is going on and maybe his basic learning skills gets compromised, OR he has to go in this generic weird calss they wil NOT let us out of this school we HAVE to send him somewhere.
I went to one of the best high schools in MICH for two years and I went to a Catholic school for ONE year. I did GREAT at the Catholic school and I think it was just AWESOME. It was the structure, the focus on learning they were strict but great.... I loved it. and I am not even Catholic. I ended up going to boarding school because I had to get out of my house.. but honestly I wish I d spent my entire elementary thing at Star of the Sea/
Well, it sounds like a very personal choice, and you are making the right one for Spencer. I do think that if I have kids I might put them in Catholic school (we are Cath) but more important to me is a non-traditional (maybe Montessori?) kind of learning environment, where the kid can kind of structure his learning after a time, that is how my honors courses worked in school, although I suspect placing out of physics/math and taking 40 art classes did not do me any favors in the career dept!
We looked at a Montessori for Preschool for Spencer and he had enrolled but it was set to begin in the summer Then the house exploded and buy the time we got our bearings and had moved in to a new temp place Bill's business (remember - it blew up too, he could not make a living very well for like MONTHS) was not doing well and we could not send him there.
It might have been a bit much anyway. That place had an organic chef to cook lunch for the kids. I am not sure what he would have made, though, because at that time all I could ever get Spencer to eat was String Cheese and Bananas.
Star of the Sea?!!!Help!!! I was forced to go to Star of the Sea for two years during that whole busing thing. My dad thought I would have to go to a school in Detroit, so off to Star I went. I really didn't like it. And it was way behind the public schools. If you are worried about Spencer's individuality, don't send him to Catholic school. That's my two cents
ANON: You went to Tuna Tech???
WOW A TUNA in our midst!!!
Post a Comment